MediaTek unveils 6nm Dimensity 900 5G chipset
MediaTek has announced the Dimensity 900 5G chipset, the latest addition to its Dimensity 5G family of devices.
The chipset has been built on the 6nm high-performance manufacturing node, and supports Wi-Fi 6 connectivity, ultra-fast FHD+ 120Hz displays and a 108MP main camera.
The Dimensity 900 is integrated with a 5G New Radio (NR) sub-6GHz modem with carrier aggregation and support for bandwidth up to 120MHz. it is equipped with an octa-core central processing unit (CPU) consisting of two Arm Cortex-A78 processors with a clock speed of up to 2.4GHz and six Arm Cortex-A55 cores operating at up to 2GHz. It also supports flagship LPDDR5 memory and UFS 3.1 storage, and can adapt to a 120Hz screen refresh rate, bringing excellent performance improvements and a seamless experience to 5G mobile devices.
The chipset integrates an Arm Mali-G68 MC4 graphics processing unit (GPU), along with an independent artificial intelligence (AI) processing unit (APU) that delivers optimal power efficiency for extended battery life. The 3rd generation of MediaTek’s AI processing unit is extremely power-efficient to support a wide variety of AI applications and 4K high definition resolution (HDR).
“Dimensity 900 brings a suite of connectivity, Display and 4K HDR visual enhancements to high-tier 5G smartphones and gives brands great design flexibility for their 5G portfolios,” said Dr. JC Hsu, Corporate VP and GM of MediaTek’s Wireless Communications Business Unit. “The chipset’s support for 5G and Wi-Fi 6 ensures users get the most of out their devices with super-fast and reliable connectivity.”
Among the technologies integrated into the Dimensity 900 are:
- MediaTek’s Imagiq 5.0: The chipset integrates a flagship-class, HDR-native image signal processor (ISP) and incorporates a unique hardware-accelerated 4K HDR video recording engine. This supports up to four concurrent cameras and up to 108MP sensors.
- MediaTek’s MiraVision: The chipset packs upgraded video capabilities from a standard dynamic range (SDR) to HDR with real-time enhancements of HDR10+ video playback to improve color and contrast of content.
- Premium AI-Camera Enhancements: Smartphones powered by the Dimensity 900 support up to 108MP cameras with 32M at 30fps and multi-camera options such as 20+20MP. The chipset integrates an AI processing unit with ultra-efficient INT8, INT16 and accurate FP16 capabilities to deliver premium AI-camera results.
- Advanced Connectivity: Dimensity 900 supports dual-SIM 5G standby function, 5G SA/NSA networking and dual-SIM VoNR voice services. This chipset integrates 2×2 MIMO Wi-Fi 6 connection, Bluetooth 5.2 and GNSS.
- Smooth Gaming: Dimensity 900 supports MediaTek’s HyperEngine gaming engine.